Last updated on November 22, 2021
Betrayal at House on the Hill is an exciting (and slightly spooky) mystery game that gets players to work together to escape the haunted house. If you loved the thrills and chills that it brought you, and you’re looking for games that have similar elements, we’ve got you covered.
Betrayal at House on the Hill is a board game that requires players to work together for a shared objective. There are six board games like Betrayal at House on the Hill that we recommend:
So, if you’re getting ready for your next family game night or just a night of board games and chilling with friends, you don’t need to look any further than our list. Just grab the snacks, gather some extra players, and have fun!
Table Of Contents
Collaborative Games Like Betrayal At House On The Hill
Betrayal at House on the Hill is a game that requires all the players to work together as a team. But not all collaborative games have to fit the same mold! Some of them may require players to reach a shared objective or gang up against one other player.
We’ve compiled a few of the best collaborative games like Betrayal at House on the Hill guaranteed to have you playing them over and over again!
Mansions Of Madness Board Game
- 2 – 5 players
- 120 – 180 minutes playing time
Mansions of Madness is a horror game full of mystery, insanity, and a whole lot of fun! The game takes place in the haunted buildings around Arkham, Massachusetts, where ghouls, ghosts, and monsters wait for their unsuspecting victims.
Only a handful of people can uncover the truth about the horrors within the buildings’ walls, and that’s you! So, grab your most trusted team of investigators and get to work in revealing the truth about the so-called Mansions of Madness!
To play the game, you’ll need to start by downloading the iOS or Android app. From there, you can choose the scenario you want to play by pressing the ‘New Game’ option.
Each game is set within a different and unique story with its own map and a combination of different elements. These elements will determine what Monsters you will face, the Clues you will need to find to unlock the mystery, and the Ending based on the scenario you’ve chosen.
For every round, there are two phases. Firstly, the Investigator phase allows the group of players to move around the board, encounter monsters, find clues and perform actions. Then, the app will generate a mythos effect in the Mythos phase, resulting in obstacles for the investigative team to overcome or even the appearance of new, terrifying monsters.
The objective of the game is simple and pre-determined when you pick your scenario. But it is also hidden from the players. To figure out your objective, you will have to work together to slowly reveal your destiny.
Listen carefully to the prologue of the story and look carefully for clues. The longer you take to solve the mystery and escape the nightmare, the more your objective may change. If you take too long or your objective becomes too difficult, you may just be trapped within the walls of the Mansions of Madness forever.
- HORROR GAME: This fully cooperative board game of horror and mystery takes place in the same universe as Arkham Horror 3rd Edition, Arkham KCG, Eldritch Horror and Elder Sign. Explore the veiled and misty streets of Innsmouth and stumble through the haunted corridors of Arkham’s cursed mansions as you search for answers and respite.
- MYSTERY GAME: Players take the part of investigators, entering the darkened rooms of haunted Akrham mansions and other sinister locales to discover strange secrets, solve cunning puzzles and battle otherworldly dangers. Open the door and step inside - it will take more than just survival to conquer the evils terrorizing this town.
- COOPERATIVE GAME WITH HIGH VARIABILITY: Game features four campaigns of varying length and difficulty.The dynamics of this game make it an excellent choice for game night with friends and family, especially if they're fans of horror!
- APP-DRIVEN GAME: A free digital app is required to play your copy of Mansions of Madness. This immersive companion app guides players, step by step, through each scenario.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This thrilling cooperative horror game for teens and adults can be played with 1 to 5 players and is suitable for ages 14 and up. Average game time is 2 to 3 hours.
Last Night On Earth: The Zombie Game
- 2 – 6 players
- 60 – 90 minutes playing time
Last Night on Earth is a collaborative horror board game that lets players take on the role of heroes and zombies in an epic fight for survival.
To play the game, players must decide which team will take on the roles of the heroes and who will be in control of the flesh-hungry zombie hordes. Up to four players can claim the title of hero, with one or two players controlling the zombies.
Much like Betrayal at House on the Hill, Last Night on Earth uses a more modular game board that can differ with each scenario the group chooses to play. There are several scenarios to choose from, each with its own combination of heroes, board configuration, and objectives.
The scenarios encompass objectives like escaping the mindless group of zombies, rescuing someone from their undead clutches, or just trying to make it out with your life in a game of pure survival.
When the scenario is chosen, players are given their conditions for winning, objectives, and the number of turns they are limited to throughout gameplay.
Taking turns, the heroes and zombies must try to meet these conditions and mark off their objectives in a battle for survival. But watch out – if a hero and zombie happen to land on the same square, they must battle to the death in combat that is controlled by six-sided dice.
The game comes with a unique soundtrack to allow players to fully immerse themselves in the game. It helps to create an atmosphere of horror and excitement.
So, who will make it out alive? And who will succumb to their fate?
- For 2-6 players
- Takes 60-90 minutes
- Modular game boards
- Heroes versus Zombies
Kill Doctor Lucky Board Game
- 3 – 8 players
- 45 – 60 minutes playing time
It may seem strange to consider Kill Doctor Lucky a collaborative board game. At first glance, it may seem like the kind of game where it’s “every man for himself.” But, in this twisted take on a murder mystery game, all the players have the same objective: To kill Doctor Lucky.
And nothing brings people together like plotting someone’s murder, right?
But why would a group of people want to kill the seemingly likable Doctor? It may be as simple as an act of revenge for murdering your beloved pet rock, or maybe it’s because he ruined your dream of running the best dry-cleaning business in town.
Whatever your reason is, it’s up to you to kill him before any of your fellow players get the chance.
Players must move around the board to collect weapons to use against the Doctor to play the game. Having more weapons will increase your chances of a successful murder attempt.
You’ll have to wait to carry out your plan until you’re in a room alone with him. After all, you don’t want to be caught. The other players will play to determine whether the Doctor gets lucky.
If he’s lucky, he’ll escape with his life (for now). But if he isn’t, you will have finally gotten rid of him, and you’ll be declared the winner of the game.
Kill Doctor Lucky has an entertaining premise and can keep you entertained for hours – or at least as long as he’s still alive.
- Welcome to Lucky Mansion, a sprawling country estate filled with unusual weapons, good hiding places, and craven killers. Killers like you
- It’s been nearly 25 years since folks first started trying to kill him, and he keeps coming back stronger than ever
- The object? To kill Doctor Lucky. The obstacles? For one thing, all your friends would rather do it first. For another, Doctor Lucky is aptly named
- For 2-8 Players. 20-40 minute playing time
- Now with NEW Cat and Dog Tokens
Arkham Horror Board Game
- 1 – 8 players
- 120 – 140 minutes playing time
Arkham Horror has a unique backstory that gives this board game an extra dose of intrigue and excitement.
It’s 1926, and the speakeasies are filled with laughter and the smooth sounds of upbeat jazz. But there’s a threat looming over the unsuspecting people of Arkham that only the bravest group of heroes can eliminate.
There are extraterrestrial beings known only as the Ancient Ones invading your hometown, and it’s up to you and your fellow game players to stop their plan for world domination. Are you up to the task?
To play the game, players must choose from sixteen different investigators to make up their winning team. Throughout the game, players will get different opportunities to upgrade their chosen character using various skills, items, weapons, and spells to increase their chances of saving Arkham.
This fast-paced game is full of adventure, but the investigators only have one main goal: close the portals to the other dimensions before the ultimate Ancient One awakens.
Once he awakens, your team will only have one chance to defeat him in combat and win the game. So, work quickly, use your heads, and most importantly: work together.
- THRILLING GAME OF COSMIC HORROR: A dark shadow grows in the city of Arkham. Alien entities known as Ancient Ones lurk in the emptiness beyond space and time, writhing at the thresholds between worlds. Only a handful of investigators stand against the horrors. Will they prevail?
- SCARY STRATEGY GAME: Players take on the role of Arkham investigators as they explore the streets of the city and work together to save humanity from unknowable horrors. Stop occult rituals and destroy alien creatures before the Ancient Ones make our world their ruined dominion.
- COOPERATIVE MYSTERY GAME: Players work as a team to gather clues, defeat terrifying monsters and find tools and allies to stand any hope of defeating the ancient creatures that exist just beyond the veil of our reality.
- HIGHLY VARIABLE: Inspired by the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, each unique scenario puts you in the shoes of an Arkham investigator. Choose one of 12 unique investigators, each with their own abilities, items and backstory. Branching narrative paths make each scenario truly your own. No two games are ever the same.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: The Arkham Horror Board Game collection of scary games for game night is designed for 1 to 6 players and is suitable for ages 14 and older. Average game time is approximately 2 to 3 hours.
Fury Of Dracula Board Game
- 2 – 5 players
- 120 – 180 minutes playing time
In Fury of Dracula, the ancient Count is once again up to his old tricks. Moving in the shadows, his cunning ways have allowed him to escape death and terrorize people for centuries, until now.
To play the game, one player must assume the role of Dracula himself, while the other players – the Vampire Hunters – work together to put an end to his wicked ways. But, because the Hunters are working as a team, they will either win the game together or be defeated as a unit.
For each round, both the Hunters and Dracula will play in turns. During the Hunter phase, the turn is split into Day and Night. When Hunters perform actions during the day, they are stronger and have the safety of the sun. But when night falls, their safety is gone, and they must work carefully to perform more risky actions.
After the Hunters have made their moves, Dracula is able to perform his own actions and put his nefarious schemes into action. Moving in secret, Dracula must avoid the Hunters and create an army of vampires to escape his fate.
Suppose a Hunter moves into a location on the board where Dracula has been hiding. In that case, Dracula must reveal himself and battle the Hunter in a fight to the death.
Hunters must work together to defeat Dracula and save the world from the Vampire threat. But if they fail to stop him, Dracula will be left to create a horde of blood-thirsty vampires and destroy humanity.
So, if you’re brave enough to track down the Count, you’ll have to watch your back. And whatever you do, don’t get bitten.
- A Game of deduction and Gothic horror
- The count returns with 5 new fully painted figures for Dracula and each Hunter!
- 2-5 players where one is Dracula being tracked by the hunters. Ages 14 and up. 2-3 hour playing time
- Same suspenseful Game, now with an improved, easier to follow rulebook and larger, standard-size playing cards
- Excellent replay value; Get a unique experience depending on which of the characters you play as
Above And Below Board Game
- 2 – 4 players
- 90+ minute playing time
After your village was attacked and destroyed by a group of barbarians, you and your fellow villagers gathered what was left of your home and set out in search of a new place to settle.
But when you discovered your new home and began to rebuild, nothing could have prepared you for what was to come. Soon after construction on the new village began, your villagers discovered that they had built their new home on an underground cave full of treasures and useful resources.
Realizing the potential for your village, you will need to lead your village to greatness and develop your villagers to meet their full potential.
To play the game, players will take turns assigning their villagers actions to do. Each villager has a unique ability, so you will need to choose their actions wisely.
Players receive their own personal village board at the start of the game, which they will use to move the villagers onto blocks that represent the tasks they’ve been assigned.
Will you take someone with you on the cave expedition? Or does your villager have skills better suited to another important job?
Don’t forget that there is a vast tunnel that sits beneath the surface of your village, just waiting to be explored. This is where the narrative of the game begins.
One of the players will narrate what happens to you during your adventures and expeditions from the booklet that is included in the game. You’ll have an option of how to respond, and your success depends on which villagers you brought along on the mission – and who you’re ready to sacrifice to succeed.
The book of paragraphs is jam-packed with incredible adventures and encounters that are picked at random each time you enter the cavern.
This game ends after seven rounds, and the player with the most built-up village wins at the end of the game!
- Build a village and explore the caverns below
- Manage your villagers, each with a unique identity
- Read from a book of encounters, building an amazing and memorable story each time you play
- English (Publication Language)
There are tons of great games like Betrayal at House on the Hill, but this list is just a few of our favorites!
From monsters to vampires and aliens and from building a civilization to escaping zombies and even killing a doctor – there is something for everyone!